Monday, February 24, 2014

Dumb, Alec

Sometimes, I read something and want to talk to people about it.

You are my people.

Alec Baldwin wrote a stupidly long piece for New York Magazine called, "Alec Baldwin: Good-bye, Public Life." If you want to read it, go ahead, and then come back. If you don't want to read it but still want to follow what I'm talking about, highlight the text that follows for what I think he was trying to say:
He is not a homophobe, and everyone thinks he's a homophobe, but he seriously isn't and he knows plenty of actual homosexuals, and also, he wishes everyone would just leave him the hell alone, and so once he's done with these 5,283 words (many of them accusations leveled at other people and several of them homophobic), he's never talking again.

I may be missing some pieces; it really was very long.

I am sympathetic to the plight of people who live in the public eye, especially unwillingly. I am not on the side of photographers and reporters who think it's OK to intrude on every facet of someone's life because he's an actor, especially if some of those facets are yelling at children.

I also have often expressed my fondness for Alec Baldwin, which is real.

But also? I think that when you have your own giant platform where you are determining the content, and you choose to sign off from public life —never commenting again — with words and phrases that include, apparently unironically:

  • "tranny"
  • "cocksucking"
  • "toxic little queen"
  • "...I didn’t view “toxic little queen” as a homophobic statement. I didn’t realize how those words could give offense..."

...it is going to be hard to give you credit as the unhomophobe you apparently want to appear to be.

Any other thoughts on what's happening here? Am I just missing the comedic genius?

2 comments:

Joe said...

I read this yesterday and I agree with you (re: use of slurs). Sounded contradictory to me.
I also think this is some type of stunt and there's no way he'll "go away" and stop talking publicly. Doesn't seem in his nature. It's funny, I usually pay no attention to this celeb stuff, but I found this interesting because I like a lot of his work and figured I would give it a read. Bottom line: his life is not as awful as he makes it out to be. He's actually very lucky and should keep that in mind.

Jennifer O'B said...

Generally when I hear/read "I'm not a racist/homophobe but..." I think "yes you are, and now you'll prove it"

I'm always amazed that people like him don't have someone in their entourage who can say "shhh, wait, think how that will look"