Saturday, January 22, 2011

Kate Gosselin = Murphy Brown + Maude + Liz Lemon, all in one!

People from warmer places may not know that it can get too cold to snow. But it does. And we've been in a cycle up here: snowing a lot, really cold, snowing a lot, really cold... you get the pattern.

The result is obviously me watching a lot of crappy TV via Netflix.

Netflix's weirdness in recommendations is well-documented, but lately, it's decided I would like "Reality TV Featuring a Strong Female Lead."

How do you suppose Netflix defines that?

In order (with my descriptions and comment in italics):
  • "Say Yes to the Dress" (Season 5) A show about young brides to be blowing all the money in the universe on a dress they will wear once, often arguing with their mothers, sisters, and best friends about it. The image on the cover is of a man holding a dress. Go sisterhood!
  • "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" (Season 3) I have neither seen this show nor heard a lot of chatter about it, so maybe I shouldn't judge, but it's about Paris Hilton's ex-friend (or makeup artist?) and her sisters, right? Who are pretty and also Bruce Jenner's stepdaughters? Or something?
  • "Laguna Beach" (Season 1) Rich seemingly fake high school kids are mean to each other, except it's sort of reality, somehow.
  • "The Hills" (Season 1) The same rich seemingly fake kids get jobs, ish, and continue to be mean.
  • "Meerkat Manor" (Season 1) My understanding is that this show is literally about meerkats. I guess this is why they say "strong female lead" and not "strong woman lead."
  • "Jon & Kate Plus Ei8ht" (Seasons 1 and 2) Unlike many people, I do not judge Jon & Kate for having a lot of children. I do judge them for being unpleasant, and I judge TLC for using an 8 in place of a g.
  • "Curl Girls" Lesbian surfers. This is literally the only show on this list I might watch. Oh, who are we kidding? I absolutely will watch this.
  • "Transamerican Love Story" Every elimination dating reality show, with a twist! Phenomenal transwoman Calpurnia Adams is the bachelorette! I will not watch this just because I want to keep loving Calpurnia. Also, spellcheck does not recognize "transwoman," "Calpurnia," or "bachelorette."
  • "First Comes Love" Every plan-a-wedding-fast reality show, with a twist! The couples are the same sex as each other! Which means, presumably, not every episode even has a woman in it.
What are you watching to stay warm?

No comments: