Monday, September 12, 2011

Just Cause

Today, a friend asked me (as part of a group) to donate to a cause I am sometimes maybe a little snarky about. She knows I'm snarky, and so generally doesn't ask me to donate, which is kind of her, if better than I deserve. It's not that I don't believe in the cause. I do, very much. But said cause's marketing tactics sometimes annoy me.

Those of you who know me well know I am sometimes kind of a jackass when I'm annoyed.

But you know what? Who cares if I'm annoyed? People in the world need help sometimes, and nice people sometimes do what they can to give it to them. What the hell is wrong with me?

I donated, anonymously, but let the team leader, who is my friend, see my name and gift amount.

And then I sent this note:
I know you will be surprised to see my (tiny) donation, based on our past conversations.

But some days, I see someone like you trying to do something good for the world, and I think, “It’s time to lighten the f*ck up.”

Thank you for every one of those moments you give me, and thank you particularly for doing it today. You’re good people, Genny Alexander.
I don't know, that's what today's like.

What did you do? Who helps you lighten the f*ck up?

1 comment:

Genny said...

Thanks, Lucy. You're good people, too!!!