Been watching the third season of Bones. It's a good show, but that's not why I'm here.
Without spoiling anything for those of you who have yet to see any of that good show, in the second season of Bones, a great great character necessarily has to leave his or her job. In the third season, this character is still around, but someone still needs to do his or her job in the lab. Bones has taken a page from Murphy Brown, and given that job to a rotating cast of characters who are excellent in the short term but might get annoying in the long term.
One of them just spews forth facts. Some of them are relevant to whatever case the team's working on, most of them are tangential at best. He has a British accent. I am not sure what that adds.
And no one wants that character around all the time, but will you maybe be amused if I just spew forth a bunch of random facts right now, just to show off a bunch of stuff I know?
- The eight vegetables in V8 are tomatoes, beets, celery, carrots, lettuce, parsley, watercress and spinach.
- "5150,"in the name of the Van Halen album, refers to Eddie Van Halen's home studio, also named 5150. "5150,"in the name of the studio, refers to the section of California state code that allows people to be involuntarily committed.
- The nine prepositions that take the ablative case in Latin are ab, cum, de, ex, in, pro, prae, sine and sub.
- In circus lingo, "First of May" is a performer still in his or her first season. OK, I learned that from Bones, too.
- All four of the above facts were in the original 2009 post. Between then and now, I'd lost the knowledge of two of them. I think I stopped writing because I don't have a lot of facts that are good without context. This one is new to 2013.