Among the things I've done are going through old (in some cases, very old) notebooks at work, which have sometimes doubled as to-do lists or places to take notes about other things I've worked on. I've recycled a lot, filed some more. It's been very gratifying.
My note-taking may or may not be conventional. It was for sure shaped in the seventh grade. In seventh grade, it involved a hodgepodge of me actually taking relevant notes and writing down things for the edification of my friend and lab-table-mate Trisha, which I would then oh-so-slyly show her.
I still do that in meetings, except generally, I don't have anyone to show. I am essentially passing notes with myself, in among all the to-do lists. Sometimes I just make note of funny things people say; often I write down my real feelings about what is being said. I curbed that last impulse briefly when I was a reporter, lest my notes ever be subpoenaed, but made up for it with all the funny quotes I was taking down.
Anyway, here are just a few of the gems (quotes, to-dos, and my real feelings) that have emerged in these old notebooks today, for your lab-bench edification.
- This is the creepiest form of joking.
- "Oh, you're really talking. I thought we were quoting the play."
- And then remember the next day, when it was still all like that?! Hahahahahahahaha
- I understand XYZ, we'd be glad to have you join us — talked to J&D — SC
- Made reserve pool for phone interviews
- "accidental butt reiki"
- "tastes like brown"
- "calls himself a witch"
- Add to cauldron: Irish soap actress, Chaz Bono
- Who's real?
- "I don't anticipate it's going to be smooth right away"
- She took me to the carnival — I wonder what that means.
- BE Akzidenz Grotesk
- has a knack for wording good, reasonable questions so they sound as rude as possible
- It is weirdly complicated, and most folks here wouldn't be able to articulate it
- Talk to Ellen re: weather
- So. Angry.
- "I just carried a bust of Granny D made of plaster wrapped in a sweatshirt from the back of her son's Jeep to the archive."
- Colonialist approach to service
...and one haiku:
I won 3 raffles
Sang 9-5 with Manley
Lots of integers