I still do some of those posts about what a different world New Hampshire is from DC, sometimes, but not as much as I used to, because I've settled into what I usually think of as a pretty ordinary ruralish life up here. The funny stories are at my expense more often than they're at New Hampshire's expense.
My extended family, from places like California and Connecticut and Maryland and Massachusetts and New York and Washington state, has not entirely escaped the can-you-believe-this saga, because they are more likely to ask how my job is going, and are more likely, therefore, to get treated to a big dose of New Hampshire politics — particularly over the summer, when the legislature cut more than half its already-smallest-in-the-nation appropriations to higher ed. That has very real repercussions for me, the people I work with, the students I work for, our ability to serve the community...
Anyway, Rachel Maddow did a thing on Republicans in New Hampshire, and I liked it.
For your edification, here's some of the ridiculousness going on in the state that isn't about electing a president:
- House votes again to make NH gun licenses optional
- NH House approves allowing guns on campus
- New Hampshire bill would allow loaded guns in vehicles
- Vote on possible repeal of New Hampshire’s same-sex marriage law expected in January
- New Hampshire Lawmakers Pass Law Allowing Parental Objections To Curriculum
- New Hampshire’s 2012 anti-evolution legislation (and the shocking thing a sponsor said)
- New Hampshire Lawmakers Propose Increased Control Over Courts, Raising Minimum Judicial Age To 60
- New Hampshire GOP Bill Mandates That New Laws Find Their Origin In 1215 English Magna Carta
- explain, or
- have my mind changed.