Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Moviewatcher's Guide to My Weekend

Sometimes, when I don't post for a while, it's because there's too little going on.

And sometimes, it's because there's too much.

This time, both. Sorry 'bout that.

But you may have heard there was a huge snowstorm up here. I have been mostly (though not entirely) homebound since Friday afternoon, and have taken advantage of the opportunity to do a little cleaning up and a lot of catching up on my Netflix queue. In lieu of a real post, then, some thoughts on the movies I've seen in the last few days.

Movies I do not recommend, especially if you're a woman in your 30s or 40s who lives alone and has an overactive imagination:



Movies I do recommend, especially if you are a queer woman who has suffered through a lot of horrible lesbian movies and just wants one sweet story that is not so terrible:



Movies that I also watched, with a few words about each:

Movie I will likely watch next, because when Netflix recommends something Korean, I tend to take it seriously:
Movies I wanted to watch because someone mentioned it yesterday, but couldn't legally without paying Amazon for the privilege, and I didn't want to watch it that much:

Questions? Comments? What are you watching that I should add to the list?



* This one came closest of the also-rans to getting a recommendation from me. There was something just a little weird about both Alan Ladd and Morticia Jones — and maybe all the adult actors.
** Observe that this one did not make that first category. That is how awful-feeling Dreams of a Life was. It's not a bad documentary, I just wish I hadn't watched it. It's actually pretty good.

3 comments:

Mike said...

The movie with the biggest gap between people who have seen it and people who should have seen it is The Road to Wellville.

Joe said...

I don't know if you're a fan of Michael Shannon (he plays a creepy former Treasury agent in Boardwalk Empire), but check out Taking Shelter if you get a chance.
I suppose it goes good with your them of being holed up inside for a few days.

Joe said...

I meant "theme" in that last line. But you probably knew that.