Friday, October 9, 2009

A public service announcement for those of you who are not having trouble with Facebook

I am.

I am not the only one, either.

I went away last weekend (ironically setting my Facebook status to something like "[bzzzzgrrrl] will be offline for a few days. Don't panic."), and when I got back, I started getting an error message when I tried to log into Facebook:
"Your account is temporarily unavailable due to site maintenance. It should be available again within a few hours. We apologize for the inconvenience."
That persisted for several days.

Staring yesterday, I started getting messages from my friends (no, I am not picking on you; I got nearly identical e-mails and IMs from several people who are all apparently worried about either me or the status of our friendships):
"You're not available on FB any more!!! Did you unfriend me?"
Starting this morning, attempts to log into Facebook were met with a longer error message:
"Sorry, due to site maintenance your account is unavailable at this time.

"We are currently experiencing an extended site maintenance issue that is preventing some users from accessing their accounts or Pages they may administer. Rest assured that your account has not been deleted or compromised. Your original account will be restored as soon as possible so there is no need to create a new one. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you've encountered while attempting to log in to Facebook during this time.

"You can stay updated with the progress of this bug by visiting the Help Center."

So, now you know about as much as I do it. It's apparently affecting lots and lots of irritable people, but not everyone, and as far as I can tell, no one else I know, but scads of people who use Yahoo! Answers. Your takeaways:
  • No, I did not unfriend you.
  • If you are one of my several new friends, I am not avoiding being your friend.
  • If you have other friends who have mysteriously disappeared from Facebook, they are probably in the same boat I am.
  • Just because I am hooked on Facebook and miss it so so so so much doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

No comments: