Monday, November 7, 2011

Motto

This one by Langston Hughes has been rattling around in my brain a bunch lately, for a bunch of different reasons:

I play it cool
And dig all jive.
That's the reason
I stay alive.

My motto,
As I live and learn,
         is:
Dig And Be Dug
In Return
OK, and yes, one of those reasons was that one episode of Law and Order where Briscoe quotes it to his lieutenant. But there have also been some big heartfelt conversations with friends who've brought it starkly into focus.

There's been a lot of that in my life these days, recurrent themes that are everywhere. They feel like whispers of the divine, or my subconscious, or both, telling me to Pay Attention to this One Very Important Thing Right Now.

A belated Day 4 of my month of gratitude: I am thankful for poetry, for reminders from the universe, and for their intersections. And boy howdy, am I thankful for the work of Langston Hughes.

No comments: