Sunday, February 26, 2012

Holy what?

I need to couch this in a lot of things; here's a seemingly unrelated list of them that will become clearer once I get to my main point:
  • I'm still sick, and therefore still crabby
  • I have been watching TV and sleeping in maybe roughly equal amounts since midday Friday
  • I'll watch almost any damn thing if it's likely to be funny at this point
  • I have a great deal of respect for the good the Catholic Church has done in the world, while still disagreeing with much of its doctrine
  • I don't think, usually, religion is the cause of evil; I think some people behave badly for a variety of pretty much inexcusable reasons, and when those people happen to be in positions of power, the damage that does can be worse (of course, the converse is true for people who behave nobly)
  • I'm tired; that was a lot more philosophical than this likely warrants
  • I rarely like British television as much as people think I will
OK, back to that main point.

Does this:
Three Catholic priests are exiled to a remote Irish island after various misdeeds brought them under the scrutiny of the bishop.

Sound like a terrible premise for a comedy TV show? Nightmarish, even?

Oh, wow. Spoiler after the colon; highlight the text to read: The last episode of the series, no kidding, is titled "Going to America." 

I am afraid to watch this show, but I don't really see how I can not. Did everyone else already know about this?

2 comments:

Joe said...

As a Catholic who respects a lot about the church -- and who also finds major faults with it -- I would watch this. Never heard of it.
Please let me know what you think.

bzzzzgrrrl said...

It's funnier than I anticipated — you might really enjoy it. I only stuck with it for a few episodes, but it was in no way nightmarish. :) It's from the mid-90s, and surprisingly undated. There's one moment in the first episode that made me laugh out loud, even though I was by myself.

The basic premise described there is correct, but there's very little focus on the "misdeeds," which is for the best.

Please let me know what YOU think.