Monday, November 29, 2010

Fairy tale

Not quite three weeks ago, the following exchange happened on my Facebook page:
[bzzzzgrrrl] loves it when she comes home to find the sweater fairy has been to call!
  • [Friend1] I want a sweater fairy!
  • [Friend2] sweater fairy?
  • [Friend3] Is THAT what they call those moths!?!
  • [bzzzzgrrrl] Ha!
    No, [Friend3] and [Friend2], the sweater fairy is a magical creature that leaves nice sweaters between the storm door and the regular door of all the good little boys and girls who are lucky enough to live next door to people who are losing weight and whose old size is similar to said boys' and girls' current size.
    I believe her to be related to the beet fairy, which is a magical creature that leaves beets (and sometimes other produce) for all the good little boys and girls who are lucky enough to live next door to people who have a CSA share but also a houseful of mildly picky eaters.
  • [Friend3] Ah, I seeeeeee. I wonder if I can find a $100 bill fairy??
  • [Cousin Mouse] oh, at first I read that as "the swearer fairy"


Well the sweater fairy has struck again, and this time, she's left not only sweaters but also shirts and pants and shorts and a vest, and she had to leave them in the garage because there were way too many to leave between the regular door and the storm door. I will not need to shop again for a year.

Day 28 of my month of gratitude: I am thankful for the generosity of the people around me, particularly of my kind and loving neighbor. I aspire to that level of thoughtfulness.

No comments: