Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Baggin' it

This is not one of the posts you're waiting for.
To be totally honest, most of those will probably never come. You don't have to get over it, but if you do, your life will be richer, because you'll be happier with what you have.

Today, we're talking purses.

For three reasons (chronologically):
  1. A friend of mine recently reminded me that I used to keep a backpack with a change of clothes in it in my car, so I could just go do stuff on a whim. I like doing stuff on a whim, and even more important, I like the idea of doing stuff on a whim. This was so important to me that I apparently wrote her a poem on the subject, which she still has, because you don't just throw away poetry. Even mine, which is universally terrible.
  2. I was working on Beth's questions, and got to, "What's in your purse?" and realized the answer is, "Practically nothing I need. Wallet, phone and keys usually wind up in my pockets. There's probably a lip gloss and some coupons in there."
  3. I stumbled across a testimonial for FlyLady's wallet. If you don't know FlyLady yet, or don't know my relationship with her brilliance yet, that's a post for another day (by which I mean, possibly never). But I need a new wallet because mine is in pieces, and doesn't that one look convenient and streamlined?
So, here's the thing: I carry this enormous purse back and forth to work every day, totally unnecessarily. It is a remnant of my former life, when I brought work home with me (also unnecessarily, between us, because I only actually did any of that work at home about once a month). I never even pretend I am doing work at home now, unless it's Web-based, in which case I do not need a giant purse to accommodate it.
So, starting today, no purse. We're trying it for two weeks. If I miss it even once, I'll reconsider. But I bet I don't.
Also today, I am throwing a change of clothes and a spare toothbrush in my backpack, and putting that backpack in my car.
I like doing stuff on a whim.

1 comment:

bzzzzgrrrl said...

As much as I like "Stuff White People Like," I wish it did not always so accurately reflect my feelings, often seconds or hours after or before I myself have expressed those feelings.
See here, for example. Paragraphs 4 and 5, specifically.