Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tales from the bar

I realize that CMC is in danger of becoming a blog about weather and drink prices, and that would be too bad.
But if you'll indulge me for a moment.
There is a bar up here that I have avoided since I moved back, for several reasons:
  • It's where my favorite wings joint used to be, and I am still bitter
  • It specializes in foofy drinks with silly names and things they call "martinis" because they are in martini glasses
  • It has a reputation for being the "expensive" bar in town
Whatever.
Tonight, I could avoid it no longer. I did not order a mojito even though I sort of wanted one. That expensive mojito? $5.50. That's not a special; that is what a full price mojito costs.
These people just don't know what they've got. In the big city, I would have paid easily $9 for that drink, $13 if I'd been in an "expensive" bar. Of course, I did not have one, and had a $4 Magic Hat #9 instead, because I love #9 and there's a summer full of mojitos ahead.

Also, as I was leaving, I saw a round piece of plastic on the floor and put it on the table. A friend I was out with asked if that was a Round Tuit, and I fake-laughed for a long time. Normally, that would not be something I'd mention in this space, but this time, this friend said he expected to read about it on City Mouse Country, and the vaudeville performers who raised me always said, "you've gotta give the people what they want."
Come to think, so did the French whore who I used to bum cigarettes from, but she said it with an accent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. You vaudevillian (not a real spelling) parents raised you well.

That was the first time I mentioned a round tuit since 1987.

This is the last time I'll mention it until 2025.

bzzzzgrrrl said...

Good good.
Speaking of 1987, is it bad that, with mike, "this mike fellow," mike c, and mike h commenting here, a secret part of my soul wishes I had a friend named Mike D.? And that same part of me wishes that that, in itself, would draw people named MCA and Ad-Rock.
I guess there are no secret parts of my soul any more. Hm.
If you know someone named Mike D., please get him or her to start reading my blog and commenting, at least occasionally.
Thanks.

bzh said...

My first "real" boyfriend was Mike Dunlap. I'd mention it to him but he broke my heart in eighth grade and I still haven't forgiven him.
Sorry.