Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Gettin' us where we live

So, didja see this in the Wall Street Journal?

Did you think of me immediately?

I know I did.

Long story short, researchers look at different attributes of different folks in different parts of the country. Cool interactive graphics are here.

Here's how New Hampshire is described:
  • Extraversion: 50th out of 51 states-plus-D.C. Or, as I like to think of it, second in aloofness.
  • Agreeableness: 30th.
  • Conscientiousness: 44th.
  • Neuroticism: 14th.
  • Openness: 14th.

And D.C.:
  • Extraversion: 3rd out of 51 states-plus-D.C. Or, as I like to think of it, third most likely to give you a business card.
  • Agreeableness 50th. Or, as I like to think of it, second most likely to pick a fight with you about politics or shove you on the Metro.
  • Conscientiousness 40th.
  • Neuroticism 31st.
  • Openness 1st. I should have something funny to say about this, but I don't. Do you?
I also entirely love that North Dakota is first in both extraversion and agreeableness, but dead last in openness. Now that sounds like my kind of place.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Hey CMC. . .I did read that story, and yes, there were some very odd results. . .I'm thinkin' a new license plate for D.C.: "Last in Representation, but First in Openness!"

Lisa Clarke said...

That was fun. I love interactive statistics like that. I also love that I live in the 5th most neurotic state. That amuses me for some reason.

Anonymous said...

Totally off the subject, but here's everyone's laff for the day:

http://listoftheday.blogspot.com/2007/09/great-olan-mills-photos.html