Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Look what they've done to my oatmeal

I just went to the student center to buy a little carton of milk for my oatmeal, and discovered, to my horror, that there is no skim milk available. They are not out of it, they just don't sell it.
Whole, 1%, 2 %, soy, chocolate. All there. No skim.
I haven't had milk with fat in it for a long, long time.
It reminded me of being a little girl in the innocent late-1970s, when my grandmother was in her 70s and insisted that the best thing for breakfast was cornflakes with strawberries and cream. Heavy cream, in fact. I adored my grandmother, and cornflakes, and strawberries, and heavy cream, and summer, which was when we would perform this ritual. But at the time, I was a whole-milk girl, and heavy cream was just an extra step towards decadence.
How is it that the difference between skim and 1% now feels like a step towards just grossness?
And how is it that, in this body-image-crazed time, college students will tolerate a student center with no skim milk?

No comments: