Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Powerless

One of my college roommates shares a gmail account with her husband. I saw them online this afternoon, and asked if it was she. It was not. I wished her husband, also a college friend, a very happy birthday, and he suggested I call my old roommate, who'd been home for days with two kids but no power, heat, or running water — that's what happens when we get big snowstorms while the leaves are still on the trees. He was only online because he was at work.

Um, YIKES.

I did call, of course, and my friend, was remarkably chipper, considering. See, the town center, which had also been without power, had finally reopened, so, for example, they could buy gas to go somewhere else, even if their own power wouldn't come back for days and the kids would be out of school the rest of the week. Tomorrow, the Y will be open and they can take showers.

Obviously, I invited them to come stay with me, but my friend thought, since her husband had to work, it might be unkind to leave him alone in a cold, dark house on his birthday.

That, my friends, is the kind of sacrifice that leads to strong marriages. I'm told.

Day 2 of my month of gratitude: I am thankful for water, and power, and heat. And Roku and the internet and all those other things so many other folks can't take for granted.

No comments: