Monday, November 25, 2013

RIconnected

Today's guest post comes from RI.

Ever since bzzzzgrrrl asked if I’d like to do a guest post for this month of gratitude, I’ve tried to be conscious of all the blessings in my life — of which there are plenty. Going through the world with that eye, I found that many of the things I am most grateful for are connected. I am also grateful for that connection because not only does it make for a simpler post but also because it is my safety net. My support. What I’m talking about is my community.

Although I wasn’t conscious of it, I’ve been searching all of my life for a group of folks with whom I could be supported, encouraged, accepted, loved, inspired, rejuvenated, appreciated, strengthened, and held dear by.

And without even trying, I stumbled upon some of the most wonderful people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I learn something new about the world or about myself all the time with these incredible souls. Through them, I find the courage and strength to be genuinely, wholly, truly myself. It’s extraordinary.

From time to time, I step back and survey the scene around me and think, how did I get so lucky? What did I do that was so right to deserve all of this? Really, I don’t think it could be summed up into one right choice I made or one quality about me.

Except one.

I love to bowl.

After moving back to my hometown after years of being away, I went to the bowling alley looking for community. And, boy, did I find it. I’m telling you this because I want to give credit where credit is due. And that credit belongs to your faithful blogpostess bzzzzgrrrl. I met her at that bowling alley. We became close friends soon after.

It was through her that I met the people who would become my buddies, confidants, teammates, roommates, role models, and the inspiration for the best halloween costume ever. We talk about how miraculous it is that we found each other and all of the amazing people in our lives. We are continually dumbfounded and astonished by our luck. I don’t think it’s luck though. It feels more purposeful than that. More intentional.

Regardless of the why, I am fiercely grateful for the sequence of events, right choices, and fated meetings that has led me to this place in my life.

To sum up, in no particular order, here are some of those connected things that I am thankful for: community, Yankee Lanes, pie for breakfast, cartoons, okcupid, The Future Collective, karaoke, Brattleboro, my dad, mixtapes, Six Billion Utopias, queers, Important Things with Demetri Martin, Green Mountain Crossroads, the magic of barbershop, Facebook, mohawks, Weird Al, dance parties, road trips, foosball, Aimee Mannacle, Out in the Park, my mom, The Restaurant at Burdick Chocolate, Rainbow League, drag shows, haiku, Janet and her planet, Homo Promo, butchesholdinganimals, Brohaüs, softball, stickers, bowties, GCC, Morris dancing, Rockit Queer, Trivial Pursuit, Rock N Roll High School, and Adventure Time.

2 comments:

Joe said...

RI, we have not met, but let me say, I'm thankful that you make CMC happy.
And Happy Thanksgiving to all on this blog, writers and readers alike.

bzzzzgrrrl said...

No kidding, Joe. I am thankful for that, too. Happy Thanksgiving right back atcha.