As I may have mentioned elsewhere, I am on a certain online dating site that rhymes with "No way, stupid."
Here's how that's going for me, by the very rough numbers:
- Years of membership: 4, minus maybe 6 or 7 combined total months when I was dating someone or too tired to keep trying
- Number of ridiculous questions answered: 2,511
- Number of messages from vaguely sketchy straight men: Roughly 15
- Number of messages from seriously, demonstrably sketchy straight men: 1
- Total number of first dates yielded: Roughly 10
- Total number of second dates: 1
- Number of great friends found through direct dating-site contact: 2
- Number of great friends made indirectly, as a result of those contacts: Roughly 20
I have also responded to a small handful of Craigslist personal ads.
Here's how that's going for me:
- Number of ads responded to: 5
- Number of entirely sketchy responses to my responses: 4
- Number of entirely sketchy people I inadvertently responded to twice, via different ads: 1
- Number of great friends made through direct Craigslist contact: 1
- Number of great friends made indirectly, as a result of that contact: Roughly 12
- Number of close non-internet friends who've met great partners on the same dating site I'm actively on since I've been on it: 2
- Number of hours I've spent discussing with those friends our prospects and sharing profiles of potential partners: Roughly 600
- Number of other dating sites I'm theoretically on that have yielded literally nothing, datewise or friendwise or experiencewise: 2
- Percentage of local queer friends met directly or indirectly through the internet: Roughly 74
- Number of potentially life-changing experiences had, so far, as a result of those relationships: Already too many to count.
That's how. You?
Day 26 of my month of gratitude: I am thankful* for the internet, and for finding miraculous diamonds while you're looking for rubies.
*I initially mistyped that word "dateful." I do not know what that means, but I like it.