Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Calling the fashion police

This post requires lots of comments, from my urban and rural (and northern and southern) friends alike.
Today, for the first time since moving here, I am wearing my winter white pants. Those of you who knew me in my last life are probably sick to death of these pants, because I used to wear them a lot. They're off-white (slightly), and in a wintery material (almost flannel). Clearly winter pants. But is it too weird to wear whitish pants this time of year? Does it matter that there's snow on the ground? Does it matter that I can't imagine anyone else in my office wearing them? People who've ever seen these pants before, did you used to snicker behind my back at these pants? You can tell me now; I'm too far away to punch you in the neck.
If you say I can't wear them, I'm getting rid of them, because they are too hot for summer. Today I am wearing them with a tan sleeveless sweater and a black cardigan and black boots.
People who do not know (or claim not to know) what the word "cardigan" means are off the hook here.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

first, not everyone needs to know what a "cardigan" is. i can fill that space in my brain with another line from "we didn't start the fire."

second, white pants in the winter in new england... do they help hide the inevitable salt stain at your heels or make it look much worse?

Anonymous said...

You should definitely continue to wear your winter white pants. I see no problem with that. But to be on the safe side, I recommend making loudish comments during the day about how nice and toasty the almost-flannel is.

If you are concerned about the seasonal nature of the color white, you have no further to look than to the polar bear.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that you can wear white at all times of the year now -- or so said two of my friends in the fall. So go on with your bad self. Though I must admit this is where I suck -- I can't remember those pants specifically, but I'm sure you look great. It's all in how you feel...

bzh said...

I say as long as you don't get lost in a snow drift you're OK.

Of course, you can always stick those kick-ass boots out to let us know where to find you.

Anonymous said...

the bigger crime is the fashion designer/tailor for making whitish pants in a flannelish material and putting you in this conundrum... that said, my answer to said conundrum? i say if you're comfortable, you're fine... according to previous posts, there are few to police your fashion there either way, and more importantly, i bet the pants look fab on you...

Anonymous said...

Can we return to the subject of how you gave me your grey pants then took them back and then the dry cleaner lost them? Does that mean you owe me some pants now? Perhaps those white ones would work.

bzzzzgrrrl said...

We can and should return to that subject, kay bailey.

As it turns out, the cleaner did not lose my/your/my pants (I did, but only temporarily), which is double-good news, in that it means I can use that cleaner again and also, those pants are not lost. I will send them along to you soon.

If they had been really lost, the white pants would be a very unsuitable replacement, because the white pants are a tiny bit short on me. I can get away with it but wearing them low, but you are, like, a foot taller than I am, and also wear your pants higher than I do.

The white pants might make fine capris for you, but that adds a whole layer to the are-these-seasonally-appropriate conversation.

Anonymous said...

I don't claim any special insight into fashion, but I know where Cardigan is.

(Wales.)

Anonymous said...

i like this "mike" fellow.

JAM said...

My fashion "street cred" -- I've been in not one but two fashion shows (albeit vintage) as a model and my understanding is the only rule that really still persists is that there are no rules... IF one is confident enough to pull it [the look] off. Though by its very nature, this post calls that into question, so... actually, I'm not sure where that puts us...