Friday, December 19, 2008

Hatch-battening

Feels like a three-post day to me.

Here's the weather update: There is snow on the ground. Driving conditions are totally fine. My parents and many of my coworkers have now been without power for a week, and it is unclear when that will change.

There's another big storm coming in this afternoon. I am in my office, poised and ready to send out the campuswide voice mail curtailing operations.

There's another big storm headed our way on Sunday.

At this point, I am estimating that there is a 40 percent chance Christmas will be at my house this year.

Any ideas for how to make it
  • more fun and festive?
  • more exciting?
  • less stressful?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go to the store and buy a gingerbread decorating kit.

Rent old fashioned xmas movies

Anonymous said...

If you lived in Texas, the conditions you are describing (even snow on the ground) would make it the best Christmas ever, anyway. But I suggest 1) build some snowmen on your porch to look inside your windows; your guests can revel in their comparative warmth inside. 2) Get some sno-cone-making materials. 3) Chicken soup -- ask me for my awesome recipe. 4) You have "Elf" on DVD, don't you?

Joe said...

Family snowball fight. In your pajamas.

Anonymous said...

Glogg.

(Don't inhale, though, 'k?)


Merry Christmas, C.M. -- we miss you down Beltway way.

pj said...

This is a perfect oppty for you to have a crazy christmas. You know have each person have one thing that they can eat/do/buy that they secretly would always have wanted to eat/do/buy but never have because its not tra-dish. Like...oh I don't know...have a jello mold making contest...or...each write a silly song about one another...or do a talent show....that could be fun? no?

bzzzzgrrrl said...

I should be more specific about who will be present for this Christmas, wherever it is held.
-My sister and her husband (who will stay with me if Christmas is at my house)
-My parents
-My father's brother and his wife
-My mother's sister and her husband
-My parents' elderly neighbor
-me

There will be three people under the age of 40, but only four people under the age of 60, and six people under the age of 70.

It is an elderly and somewhat curmudgeonly crowd. Maybe the under-40 set will decorate gingerbread. I loooooove the peering snowmen idea; maybe us under-40s will do that, too. Hm, maybe a Christmas bridge tournament is in order.

Joe said...

OK, after further review of the attendees, scrap the snowball fight plan. How about this: set aside some time when you can all sit down with a glass of egg nog or wine and have everyone talk about their best and worst Christmas. . .this should generate some good reponses from the older crowd.