Saturday, December 13, 2008

Ice rage

So, I believe I mentioned an ice storm the other night.

The town in which I live is mostly fine.

The rest of the area, not so much.

My parents lost power and heat and had to wait until they could get the driveway cleared of downed branches, until the glaze ice melted off the streets, to go get their elderly neighbor and bring her (and themselves) to my aunt and uncle's house, a quarter-mile down the street. Aunt and uncle have a generator.
This morning, they're checking on the neighbor's cats and building a fire in their own fireplace so the pipes don't freeze. But they still don't have power, and likely won't any time soon.

Yesterday, the governor declared a state of emergency. We closed the college.

As of 8 this morning, 313,000 PSNH customers were still without power. That's nearly two-thirds of all PSNH customers. I am one of the lucky ones.

I thought I might go out and run some errands.
Not so fast, hotshot.

Here's what the road conditions are like:

No comments: