Thursday, July 2, 2009

I scream, you scream

I did not grow up in a neighborhood with an ice cream truck.
Where we lived when I was in high school, the truck would come along once in a while. Its tune was weird to the point of creepy. I best approximated it by playing three different music boxes, all playing different songs, at the same time.
Then, no ice cream truck for nearly twenty years.
My current neighborhood has an ice cream truck, with discernible tunes, but again, they're weird. a friend once noted that it was playing the theme from Love Story. I was just impressed that she could identify the theme from Love Story, as she was born fifteen years after that movie came out. But she was right, and I've heard it play a number of other weird tunes since.
Tonight, I jotted down what I could make out as the truck made its rounds:
  • "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"
  • "Deck the Halls"
  • "Clementine"

1 comment:

mike said...

What is up with ice cream trucks playing Christmas songs? happened in my old neighborhood too, sometimes with dueling ice cream trucks a block or two apart. They do this in August, not December. (And they've long since replaced bells with beeping sound chips. Don't get me started.)