Friday, May 23, 2008

Campfire Grrrl

This morning, I did not have time to wash my hair.
And also, I did not have inclination.
Because I spent yesterday evening at a campfire with twenty sixth-graders, a few of their parents and teachers, and a few of my pals.
Some of the highlights:
  • The "I've Got Peanut Butter in My Pants" song
  • The "Invisible Bench" skit
  • The "Doctor's Office" skit
  • The commercials: three of the sixth-graders singing the "Free Credit Reports" ads from TV
  • Our resultant awareness of how very good it is to get those sixth graders out into the woods for a week
  • A poem, consisting of the one line, "I hate podiums!"
  • The "Gigolo" song (not to be confused with the classic "Just a Gigolo,") sung by five girls who clearly do not know what that word means
  • S'mores
  • The realization that the two people (one of them me) responsible for putting out the fire had neither a bucket for water nor a flashlight to find their way back into camp

So today, my hair smells like woodsmoke. A lot. And I like it just fine.

Question for you: If you were a woman in her mid-30s, trying to cast someone as your husband for a skit, would you find it less awkward to ask an 11-year-old boy, or the father of one of the 11-year-olds?

5 comments:

Lisa Clarke said...

I'd find it less awkward to ask the boy.

And those commercials? My 8-year-old loves them. I admit it - I like 'em too.

Anonymous said...

You and fire. I'm just saying...

Anonymous said...

Very good question on boy v. father. I thought it would be easy, but I just don't have an answer, despite much thought.

I like the commercials, too. And I can see a need to get away from them.

And by the way, I echo Mike.

My name is Lina said...

I think I know the peanut butter song...

bzzzzgrrrl said...

Just realized I never gave you the answer on this one. I did, in fact, ask a child. He did great, but there were some hoots and hollers when he was introduced as my husband. Weird.