Monday, November 25, 2013

Possibly but not definitely less athletic

Note: On the Facebook page, I mentioned a little while back that I had a folder full of drafts I never finished: More than 60 of 'em, in fact. I'm going through that folder now, deleting what's not worth it, posting what might entertain you — or what makes my month of gratitude a little easier. This dates back to September 4, 2012. 

I know, I know, I'm always bragging about the family.

But I counted, and, in my generation, there are:

  • 2 cousins on my mother's side
  • 7 cousins on my father's side
  • 1 sibling
  • 1 me

...and I got to spend time with all but one of those people this summer. Awesome.


And a generation down, there are:

  • 4 first cousins once removed on my mother's side
  • 7 first cousins once removed on my father's side
  • 1 niece
  • 1 nephew

...and I got to spend time with all but three of those people this summer.

And here is what I have learned from those experiences:
I am related to better-than-average people in most ways. Better looking, funnier, more interesting, more interested. More loving, and with better stories. More adventurous.

Day 24 of our month of gratitude: I am thankful for my family of origin and the people who've joined the fold, including but not limited to the twenty (or so) people I'll spend this Thursday with.

No comments: