Monday, December 15, 2008

Yes, Virginia

One of the many feeds I subscribe to is snopes. That way, when people forward me urban legends, I already know that's what they are, and don't have to go try to look it up.

Today, snopes featured two of my favorite things from my D.C. days: Washington Business Journal and talking about how obnoxiously aggressive Philadelphia sports fans are.

Enjoy the true story of folks in Philadelphia pelting Santa with snowballs!

Sadly, if the 2001 WBJ story snopes mentions is on the web, I can't find it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also: this one time, at an Eagles game, Ed Rendell (the former Philly DA who would later become mayor and is now the governor of Pennsylvania) bet a fan 20 bucks he couldn't hit the field with a snowball, another story that's become local lore (http://tinyurl.com/5jdoq8 :New York Times).

Legend says he lost the bet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounty_Bowl).

The Eagles play at home tonight.

Anonymous said...

1968 was a very important, crazy year in world history. I'm just glad they didn't kill Santa. Though from the article I surmise that the guy wasn't Santa at all.