Saturday, December 29, 2007

When the Internet is too magical

So I have a Google blog alert set to let me know when my name shows up somewhere, on some blog.

When I had multiple bylines a week at a newspaper, the hits often actually referred to me. Now, they virtually never do. My name is the same as the maiden name of a certain former first lady, and is also the same as a kind-of-famous actress who is married to a somewhat famouser actor, so usually, when there are hits, it's a reference to one of them.

Today, there was a hit that was neither of them, but it's not me, either.

Most of this is by way of saying, in case any of you sketchballs have Google alerts set to my name, too, you should not come to my house for the New Year's party she is apparently inviting the whole wide world to, because it is not my party. Go find her house.

Also, one eerie coincidence: A few years ago, I had a(n unfounded) health scare, and a very wonderful friend gave me a greeting card that said, "Everything will be okay [sic] in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." It was exactly what I needed at the time, and I thought it was wonderful, and I say it all the damn time. Now, I am aware that greeting cards are mass produced, but I was nonetheless surprised to find it as the entire content of this other me's Dec. 26 post. Still, it's not me. Promise.

Update: Another me is apparently in some way involved in something called the Flourish Festival. Again, I know it sounds like something I'd do, but it's still not me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know how to do the coolest things (like set up blog alerts). Sounds so simple, but I never thought of it till now. I'm now officially monitoring blogs for my name too, thanks to you. Happy-almost-New Year city mouse country!

bzzzzgrrrl said...

You're welcome.
I am not sure if admitting that I do that makes me sound more narcissistic or nerdy, but I am both, so, OK.
You probably never thought of it because you are only one, rather than both. :)

Anonymous said...

woah. on the whole "everything will be ok" thing.
woah.
whoa
or maybe just wow. that i know how to spell.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Internet magic, I finally looked at the Holy Prepuce blog. Amazing. So smart that at one point I couldn't even follow it. That's what I look for in wisdom! Who is this person, and can he or she come to a potluck with us?

bzzzzgrrrl said...

Weirder still update:
The other me has not added anything to her site, but she has taken down the blog post I mention in this post.
I hope that does not mean that she thinks everything won't be OK in the end. That would make me sad for her.

Gretchen said...

I just finished reading your blog....after getting here through Kate's blog. Are you who I think you are? old takodian.... writer.... went to school with Willy? Great blog! Fun to read.

bzzzzgrrrl said...

I am who you think I am, and assuming you are who you say *you* are, I am thrilled to have you here and hope to see you soon!

Gretchen said...

No nick name here. I am a blog reading addict! Love your writing style! I am a bit slow, though, since it took me reading all of your entries before I figured out who you are. The reference to ToddP's blog helped. We received your phone message - and accidentally deleted it before writing down your number. Will you call again with your number? I would love to catch up with you. Thanks.