Monday, March 24, 2008

Fun with headlines

The local paper's front-page, above the fold story yesterday bore this headline:
Roundabout crashes down

So, when you read that, what was your first assumption about this story?
a) There is a roundabout locally that has somehow collapsed.
b) The number of crashes in a local roundabout (or, perhaps, in all roundabouts) has decreased.
c) Roundabout? What the hell is a roundabout?

I'll add the correct answer, with my own commentary, after you all have had a chance to have at it.

5 comments:

bzh said...

I choose b).

I have no idea why.

Anonymous said...

OTB English for a "circle" in ITB English.

Anonymous said...

It seems very clear that it is a), except because I've heard about the dangerous roundabout situation, I'll use my additional information to inform my choice of b).

bzzzzgrrrl said...

Yeah, as it happens, b) is correct.
But I am not the only one who read it as a).
I was, in fact, disappointed to learn the truth.

For a whole scintillating discussion on the topic, check out the brand-new online community Citizen Keene.

Anonymous said...

British pronounciation is "rind-a-bite."