Tuesday, July 15, 2008

How do you like them Apples?

So, Sunday night, I was feeling sort of gloomy, and my friend came over to take me to dinner.
And we had a lovely dinner, and then went out for a drink or two.
And I walked home and went to bed.
I woke up to the pitter-pat of rain outside several times, but it was still so so so so hot that I had to drag my mattress into the living room, where the air conditioning is, to sleep. I didn't sleep well, but I did eventually wake up.
And realized that before dinner I'd left my Mac out on the deck, where it stayed until morning, in the rain.
I was obviously already running late when I discovered it, so I brought the laptop in and put it face-down on a towel, and then ran out of the house. I came home from work a little early, and did what I could to dry and revive my poor computer, but it was no use. Pressing the "on" button made a little scary crackly noise at first. Now it does not do that, even.
Then I went to sleep for fifteen hours. So while the computer story is true, it may also be a metaphor.

Image by someone called "Shorelander," who wants credit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh :(

Poor Apple, poor Mouse!

Unknown said...

But wait, does this posting mean your machine, like your body, is back on?

bzzzzgrrrl said...

No, it just means I am one of Those People who will use precious work time to tell folks they should feel sorry for her on the Internets.

Anonymous said...

You could try taking it to your nearest Apple Genius Bar.

It's a bit far (by New England measures) but you could combine it with a trip to Canobie Lake Park.

It may be easier to fix than you think. I brought in a busted older-model Mac laptop and the Genius said my hard-drive was fried and referred me to a good Apple repair place (instead of doing it there which would have cost more). The repair shop replaced the hard drive for around $200. Heck, in New Hampshire you could probably barter a new hard drive for a cord of firewood.

bzzzzgrrrl said...

I don't have a cord of firewood, but I will indeed be bringing my computer to the local Apple repair place, where, rumor has it, my old roommate works. Should be some decent blogfodder there.