Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Things that affect me differently in the country than in the city

Welcome to a new potentially regular feature I call, "Things that affect me differently in the country than in the city"

The U.S. is slipping compared to other countries when it comes to access to affordable high-speed Internet. The U.S. ranks 22nd when it comes to cost (it’s cheaper in Portugal and Turkey). Broadband penetration dropped from #4 in 2001 to #15 in 2007.
... Rural Americans often don't have access to high-speed Internet connection.

Yeah, those rural Americans. Like my boss and coworkers. And, until recently, parents.

4 comments:

Joe said...

I bet you still enjoy a higher concentration of Dunkin' Donuts establishments up there, compared to us losers in NOVA.

Bitterly Indifferent said...

As a rural American, I can emphatically declare that satellite internet SUCKS OUT LOUD. It's pokey and you lose your internet access if it's raining, overcast, or a day that the satellite doesn't feel like talking to you. And that's assuming that you have an "unrestricted" view of the southern horizon in the first place.

I would do terrible things to have a broadband/DSL line available for my house. Once that happens, I'll be more than happy to complain about how affordable it is(n't).

Anonymous said...

I have *heard* that even if you live in the country you can still crouch in one corner of your house and steal your neighbors wireless for free. Which is the same price in Turkey, incidentally.

bzzzzgrrrl said...

Only if you're in an urban enough area that your neighbors can actually get high-speed Internet, which many people cannot.