Saturday, November 10, 2012

A wrench in the works

About a month ago, I fell and hurt my left knee. Or the muscles around my knee, I guess.

It was getting better until Thursday night, at which time I slipped on some wet floor and wrenched that knee, hard. Luckily, I was in a drug store at the time, so there were supplies to take care of it, and luckily, I had good friends also taking care. It still hurt like hell. Still does.

And I know from experience that what it needs is ice the first 48 hours, a mix of rest and light exercise, some gentle stretching... but it still hurts like hell.

And also, probably, I shouldn't wear heels for a few weeks, which might be a problem, because my non-heeled shoes consist of assorted athletic shoes and sneakers and one pair of Doc Marten wingtips. The wingtips would be OK for work, except that most of my pants are all the wrong length for that. Which is probably why I went back to wearing heels too soon the last time.

Guess I'm going limpy shoe-shopping.

Day 9 of my month of gratitude: I am thankful to already have:
  • Sort of amazing ice packs from the bison burgers my friend sent me a year ago
  • Fish oil
  • Island Mist Healing Clay Mask
  • Dr. Teal's Therapeutic Solutions Epsom Salt Lavender Soaking Solution
  • The 'til-now-unread end of Tina Fey's Bossypants
  • The ability to get back up out of the bathtub, which I ill-advisedly did not test before I needed it and so am perhaps most grateful for of all. It could have been a looooong weekend.
One soaky bath is not going to fix all the world's problems, but it did not hurt one bit.

No comments: