Friday, November 2, 2012

Magic, fairies, etc.

More on the magic of social media:

When I was in high school and college, theater was sort of my thing. I did it extracurricularly at school, I went to summer theater programs, I worked in summer theater programs, I minored in theater at college until I got mad at the department and decidedI could get the classes I wanted without also being beholden to a certain faculty member who treated me poorly. But still, there was a LOT of theater. And many of the folks I met in that world moved on to be professionals in the field. They write, they act, they do technical stuff, they teach; they're in film and TV and theater and performance art.

And though performance and its support is really hardly a part of my life at all these days, those old friends (mostly on Facebook) keep me connected to it. I know so many gorgeous and talented people, y'all.

One of those people is my friend Paul Salamoff, whose name I will use because I am about to hawk his book. He's a genius, and I am proud to say I played Titania to his Oberon in A Midsummer Night's Dream in exotic Waltham, Massachusetts, in 1987. There was a lot of chiffon involved. It was quite something. Anyway. And now, still a genius, he writes books and stuff. And when he was looking for transcriptionists for the third edition of On the Set, I hopped right on board. I have not read this book. But I can tell you, if the rest of it is half as interesting as the interview with Terry Morse I transcribed, it will be well worth your time.

And then yesterday I had opportunity to contribute to the Kickstarter campaign of another friend from that same time and place, Winter Miller, whose show Amandine looks amazing.

Day 2 of my month of gratitude: I am grateful to know gorgeous and talented people, and I am grateful that technology allows them to reenter my life seamlessly, as though it were not 25 years ago that I was awkwardly wearing a purple leotard and bossing a bunch of thirteen-year-old fairies around. I am especially thankful for opportunities to continue relationships that keep me on the fringes of creative worlds I still admire greatly.

No comments: