Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Misty morning

I was going to take a break from politics, and I still will, but here's one more. Because today, I don't have to stretch to find gratitude, so I'm not going to just back-burner this one until we're ready for politics again.

My aunt (according to her daughter, my cousin) campaigned at her huge retirement complex and helped raise funds for marriage equality in Maryland (Question Six). It won with 52% of the vote.

I have always loved my aunt; she's terrific. And smart, and a complete inspiration to me. But my eyes welled up a little on reading that this morning.

Some context: She was born in 1929. That is just nine years after women in the United States even won the right to vote.

Day 7 of my month of gratitude: I am grateful to have in both my family of origin and my family of choice loving, strong people who do the right thing when it comes down to it. I am proud to be part of a clan that fights for the civil rights of others. And, you know, lucky to witness when sometimes, our side wins. Thank you, dearest auntie — and all the rest of you who work so hard for the side of the angels.

No comments: